The Angus L. Macdonald Bridge is a suspension bridge crossing Halifax Harbour in Nova Scotia. Locally known as “the old bridge”, it opened in 1955 as a two-lane bridge until 1999 when a third reversible lane was added. The bridge is operated and maintained by the Halifax Harbour Bridges (HHB). The access to the reversible lane is managed on one side by the toll booth and on the other, using overhead message signs and gates which prevent motorists from going into the reversible lane when traffic is coming in the opposite direction. In 2014 HHB met with Versilis to upgrade its gate system. A series of SwiftGates were installed in 2015.
Versilis worked hand in hand with HHB as part of the design process for this project. Highly visible gates on pedestals were provided by Versilis as per the requirements. The ease of maintenance and operation of the system is supported by a built-in redundancy that provides safety in case of component or communication failure and enables quick troubleshooting. More specifically, the gates can be activated locally using a handheld remote control. The gates can also be activated via the Versilis Commander from the TMC using either NTCIP or a web browser. This commander can also receive commands from the handheld remote control via an additional module control unit.