The Canadian road safety product innovator and manufacturer Versilis was retained by the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) to install automated traffic control gates (SwiftGate) to facilitate the complex traffic management operation required for their Highway 400 /401 interchange rehabilitation.
The segment of Highway 401 passing through Toronto is the busiest highway in North America with average annual daily traffic (AADT) of more than 400,000 vehicles. The Highway is divided into Express and Collector Lanes that keep traffic moving. As part of the 400 /401 interchange rehabilitation project, Versilis worked hand in hand with the MTO and the general contractor to increase safety and efficiency of the traffic operations involved.
Solution Benefits for motorists, the MTO and the general contractor
- Highly visible gates with flashing LEDs send a clear message to motorists that the lane is closed
- Automated gates enable quick off-ramp opening and closing
- Fast automated traffic operations give more time to do the real work
- Remote activation increases operation safety
- Crashworthy gates ensure minimum damage to impacting vehicle in case of accident
- Minimum maintenance required
- Crash tested to NCHRP 350 TL-3 and accepted by the FHWA
At time of writing, no impacts or accidents have occurred which has translated to no unnecessary road intervention. The high visibility of the gates makes for a very safe and maintenance-free operation.
Hwy 400 Ramp Closure from Hwy 401 Express E. Not shown on pictures, other sets of SwiftGates are used to open and close an emergency detour setup for Hwy 401 collector motorists towards Hwy 400N.
Versilis is a family business that takes pride in developing quality innovations and providing exceptional service. Everything we do is governed by three principals: quality, safety and efficiency. Constantly following the latest developments in highway safety, Versilis offers innovative solutions to the industry. Versilis is a sister company of QMB Barrier, a moveable barrier service company and distributor of road safety products.
For additional information do not hesitate to contact us at (450) 978-1818